Best Law Firm in London

Apply for Asylum in UK

You can only apply on the basis of your private life if you’re already living in the UK.


You must be able to prove one of the following:


  • under 18 and you’ve lived in the UK continuously for at least 7 years, and it would be unreasonable to expect you to leave the UK
  • between 18 and 24 and you’ve lived continuously in the UK for more than half your life
  • 18 or over, have spent less than 20 years in the UK and would have very significant problems living in the country you’d have to go to – for example, you do not speak the language and could not learn it
  • 25 or over and you’ve been in the UK continuously for 20 years


If you do not meet the rules to enter or remain in the UK because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you might still be able to apply to extend your stay or switch to a family visa. Read the guidance for UK visa applicants and temporary UK residents.


Your family members can apply on the same application – you’ll be considered separately.

You must apply online. You’ll need to prepare information and documents to provide with your application.

Fill in the online fee waiver request form as well if you cannot afford to pay the fee because you:


  • do not have a place to live and you cannot afford one
  • have a place to live but cannot afford your essential living costs like food or heating
  • have a very low income and paying the fee would harm your child’s wellbeing

You’ll need to attend an appointment to provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo). You’ll be told how to make an appointment when you apply.

You can ask for your passport and other documents to be returned if you’ve provided them with your application but need them urgently.


You might have to cancel your application to get your documents back.

You’ll get a Biometric Residence Permit if your application is successful.


You can:

  • work
  • study


Please note that you cannot work or study if you’re applying for a visa or extending your stay to get married or become civil partners.


You cannot:

  • usually get benefits or other public funds for you or your dependants
  • apply to settle in the UK until you’re eligible

Contact White Horse Solicitors & Notary Public for expert advice by experienced professionals on all areas of Immigration law. The many conditions and immigration requirements that must be met are handled by White Horse Solicitors and Notary Public with excellent professionalism, reliable conduct and integrity. We will ensure that our advice focuses on your personal circumstances and will always aim to achieve brilliant results for our clients.


White Horse Solicitors & Notary Public is well placed and highly qualified in providing professional advice and assistance on making an application for Private Life Visa. We recommend getting in contact with us on 020 7118 1778 for our specialist and professional advice on such an application before any action is taken.

The information contained on this page is sourced from UK Visas and Immigration and is subject to change. White Horse Solicitors & Notary Public makes every effort to keep this information current, however prices and information cannot be guaranteed and should always be checked on

Get a quote