Best Law Firm in London

Standard Visitor Visa

You can apply for the Standard Visitor Visa if you wish to visit the UK; length of stay for this visa is 6 months.


A Standard Visitor Visa covers tourism, family visits, Business, medical reasons or a short course of study. Your need for a visa will also depend on your nationality and individual circumstances.


You must present evidence that you aim to leave the UK once your length of stay comes to an end and you should have evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself through your time in the UK. Confirmation from a third party declaring a genuine professional or personal relationship and willingness to offer further support if required must also be evident.

Business Visitors may come to the UK for a short-term Business-related visit without being obliged to take formal part in the UK labour market.


There are restrictions imposed on the Standard Visitor Visa. The applicant must not undertake the following:


  • Any form of employment in the UK;
  • Establishing or run a Business as a self-employed person;
  • Any form of work placement or internship;
  • Direct selling and providing of any goods/services to the public, unless expressly allowed.
  • If applicant is already paid and employed outside of the UK, they must remain so.


What you can do:


  • come to the UK for a conference, meeting or training
  • Participate in a specific sports-related event.
  • Come to the UK as an artist, entertainer and musician to perform.
  • Come to the UK if you are an academic and/or doing research, or accompanying students on a study abroad programme
  • Come to the UK if you are a doctor or dentist taking a clinical attachment or observer post.
  • Take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
  • Come to the UK if you want to secure funding to start, take over, join or run a Business in the UK.


What you cannot do:


  • Receive payment (this may only be allowed in specific circumstances).
  • Live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
  • Receive public funds
  • Marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership.
    Long-term standard visitor visa




If you need to visit UK frequently over a lengthy period, you may apply for a long-term Standard Visitor Visa. Length of this type of Visa can last 2, 5 or 10 years, with a 6 month limit on each visit. Application for this visa requires submission of evidence that you will always leave the UK at the fixed end of each visit. If you breach your fixed visit, you may be banned from visiting.




If you are invited to do specific work as an expert worker in your profession (without sponsor of Tier 2 Visa), by a UK based organisation, you may apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa.


Expert roles you may be invited to do by a UK-based organisation/client:


  • Student examiner or assessor
  • Participate in selection panels as a highly qualified academic if you are invited by an education, arts or research organisation
  • Lecture at a higher education institution (if it’s not a part-time or full-time role).
  • Examiner of UK-based pilots approved by UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority
  • Provide advocacy in a certain area of law
  • Participate in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting.
  • Participate in fashion modelling assignments.


What you can do:


Participate in minor activities related to your work or Business overseas, such as attend meetings.


What you cannot do:


  • Do specific paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise or reside in the UK for extended periods.
  • Study for more than 30 days
  • Bring dependants
  • Receive public funds
  • Marry or register a civil partnership or give notice of marriage or civil partnership.


Application must be made online before travelling to the UK. As part of your application you will have your biometrics taken at a visa application centre.

A decision will take up to 3 weeks once full application is submitted.

Multiple entries can be made with the current policy.

You can extend your stay so long you do not exceed 6 months as the total time you spend in the UK as a visitor. You may be able to extend past the 6 months under special circumstances. For example, if receiving private medical treatment in the UK or you are an academic.

You may apply for a Transit Visa. Apply for a Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) if you plan to change flights in the UK and will not be going through UK border control. Furthermore, you will need to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa if you need to stay longer in the UK, or you can provide proof that you need to frequently pass through the UK over a lengthier period.

Contact White Horse Solicitors & Notary Public for expert advice by experienced professionals on all areas of Immigration law. The many conditions and immigration requirements that must be met are handled by White Horse Solicitors and Notary Public with excellent professionalism, reliable conduct and integrity. We will ensure that our advice focuses on your personal circumstances and will always aim to achieve brilliant results for our clients.


White Horse Solicitors & Notary Public is well placed and highly qualified in providing professional advice and assistance on making an application for a Visitor Visa. We recommend getting in contact with us on 020 7118 1778 for our specialist and professional advice on such an application before any action is taken.

The information contained on this page is sourced from UK Visas and Immigration and is subject to change. White Horse Solicitors & Notary Public makes every effort to keep this information current, however prices and information cannot be guaranteed and should always be checked on

Get a quote