Best Law Firm in London

UK Student study visa

The UK has some of the most prestigious Universities in the world and is therefore a popular destination for international students who wish to study at a high-rank university. The Student Visa has replaced the Tier 4 (General) Student visa.


Eligibility Criteria:


A Student Visa can be applied for if


  • You are 16 or over (you need to have parental consent if your age is 16 or 17)
  • A licensed Student Sponsor has offered you a place on a course.
  • Have the financial stability to support yourself in addition to paying for your course.
  • You meet the English language requirement of your course which includes: speaking, reading, writing and understanding English.



You cannot:


  • Be self-employed.

  • Work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach.

  • Claim public funds.

  • Study at an academy or locally funded school.

  • Apply for indefinite leave to remain within the UK on a student visa.

  • You may be able to work depending on what you are studying and whether you’re working in or out of term-time.


Length of Stay:


The initial length of stay is dependent on your course and the study programmes you have completed. Once all is approved you may be given permission to remain in the UK for up to 5 years. Once this 5 year period is up, you may apply to extend your visa pending an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed student sponsor. PhD students do not fall under this 5-year limit.


Confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS):


Applicants must have been accepted with an unconditional offer to a course in the UK. The education provider should provide a CAS. The visa should be made within 6 months of the CAS being issued.


Spouses and Dependents:


Application can be made for a spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner and dependent children under age 18 to join you in the UK as your dependent.


You need to prove there is enough money for financial support for yourself and spouses and dependents.


The period of leave will be the same for dependents as it is for applicants. Dependents will be able to work with restrictions such as being unable to work s a professional sportsman or sports coach.


When to apply varies depending on whether you apply from the UK or abroad.


  • If applying from abroad, you need to apply for a Student Visa no more than 6 months before the start date of your course
  • If applying from within the UK, you need to apply for a Student Visa no more than 3 months before the start of your course. Your new course must begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring.

The Home Office will confirm a decision on your visa application from outside of the UK which can take up to three weeks. The Home Office will confirm a decision on your visa application from within the UK which can take up to eight weeks. A Priority Service may be available as an additional purchasing option in some locations for applications made outside the UK.

You may extend your Student Visa to remain longer to continue your course/study a new course (if you are already in the UK on a Student Visa or a Tier 4 (General) student visa). 

You must obtain an unconditional offer of a place on a course sponsored by a licensed with student sponsor, shown by your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). 

The course you wish to study must be more academically advanced than your current achievements.

If you have been in the UK for less than a year with a valid visa, you must prove your financial stability to support yourself in the UK. Furthermore, you should be applying to extend your dependents’ visa’s simultaneously to your own application. If this is not possible, application should be submitted before their current visa expires.

Contact White Horse Solicitors & Notary Public for expert advice by experienced professionals on all areas of Immigration law. The many conditions and immigration requirements that must be met are handled by White Horse Solicitors and Notary Public with excellent professionalism, reliable conduct and integrity. We will ensure that our advice focuses on your personal circumstances and will always aim to achieve brilliant results for our clients.


White Horse Solicitors & Notary Public is well placed and highly qualified in providing professional advice and assistance on making an application for a Student Visa. We recommend getting in contact with us on 020 7118 1778 for our specialist and professional advice on such an application before any action is taken.

The information contained on this page is sourced from UK Visas and Immigration and is subject to change. White Horse Solicitors & Notary Public makes every effort to keep this information current, however prices and information cannot be guaranteed and should always be checked on

Get a quote