Best Law Firm in London


You must be outside the UK to apply and need long-term care from a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK.


One of the following must also apply to the relative:


  • they’re a British or Irish citizen
  • they’ve settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
  • they’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status– they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021
  • they have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK


If your family member has settled status you may be able to apply to the free EU Settlement Scheme or for a family permit.


You must prove all of the following:


  • you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability or your age
  • the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in
  • the person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years
  • you’re 18 or over


How long you can stay depends on the status of your family member.

Your stay is unlimited. You will not need to apply to extend or settle.

They must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021. You can stay as long as your family member stays. You’ll need to apply to extend or settle when they do.

You can stay as long as your family member stays. You’ll need to apply to extend or settle when they do.

You’ll need to prepare information and documents to provide with your application.


You must apply as an adult dependent relative online and complete Appendix 1.

Yes. Application must be submitted online to extend your stay in the UK.

You’ll need to attend an appointment to provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo). You’ll be told how to make an appointment when you apply.

You can ask for your passport and other documents to be returned if you’ve provided them with your application but need them urgently.


You might have to cancel your application to get your documents back.

You’ll get a Biometric Residence Permit if your application is successful.


You can:


  • work
  • study


Please note that you cannot work or study if you’re applying for a visa or extending your stay to get married or become civil partners.


You cannot:


  • usually get benefits or other public funds for you or your dependants
  • apply to settle in the UK until you’re eligible

Contact White Horse Solicitors & Notary Public for expert advice by experienced professionals on all areas of Immigration law. The many conditions and immigration requirements that must be met are handled by White Horse Solicitors and Notary Public with excellent professionalism, reliable conduct and integrity. We will ensure that our advice focuses on your personal circumstances and will always aim to achieve brilliant results for our clients.


White Horse Solicitors & Notary Public is well placed and highly qualified in providing professional advice and assistance on making an application for Family Visa. We recommend getting in contact with us on 020 7118 1778 for our specialist and professional advice on such an application before any action is taken.

The information contained on this page is sourced from UK Visas and Immigration and is subject to change. White Horse Solicitors & Notary Public makes every effort to keep this information current, however prices and information cannot be guaranteed and should always be checked on

Get a quote